Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The jaunt starts

YES! This is my inaugural piece. Thank you for joining me and I'm glad to make our acquaintance as you are probably someone interested in ocean sustainability and are a keen water-activities pursuer. Hopefully, we’re part of a much bigger and rapidly growing band.

I'm on this jaunt as I have realised over my years working in both the corporate and non-profit fields that sustainability and good practice in our sporting lives and daily lives is crucial. Having worked in diversity and human rights, I know that respect for the physical environment goes hand in hand with respect for human dignity and the right for people everywhere to have control over their lives.

Furthermore, having worked in the scuba diving business for a few years and enjoyed diving all over the world, I know that those who come into close contact with the ocean environment are those who want to protect and preserve that environment. Getting an entry level certification (with the mandatory textbook reading on the "good diving practice" chapter) is only a start. I know that for myself, I have viewed ocean environments and marine life in a completely new light since I started venturing underwater and the nice by-product of this "hobby" is that the education process never ends. Every day, there's something I find interesting about marine environments and what we do to it (and unfortunately, the news is often bad).

The good news is, the notion of sustainability and good practices is very much mainstream today. I can recall, in the 90s, those bandying such phrases as green, eco-friendly, and sustainable were often dismissed as cranks and hippies who never got off the trip. Now, those cranks are well inside the tent.

So I hope Sea Forever will be seen and enjoyed by many – from scuba diving enthusiasts and those interested in getting involved in ocean pursuits to those with an interest in all things to do with sea, land and responsible living. My objective for this blog is to be a mix of informative, interesting and useful reads for those interested in exploring the issues but more than that, I hope it'll be a fun and entertaining stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment